Monday, August 19, 2013

Algebra Teaching Game Plan

I have had so many thoughts running through my mind this summer that it became necessary to put them into some kind of organized manner.  Being that I am a visual person I put them together into a Google Drawing with links to the resources.

The Main Idea
I'm starting to see Algebra as really a course in Number Sense and Problem Solving.  I very much wish I could change the name of it but, alas, that will not happen.  My relationship with the teaching math has changed.  I see it as having three personalities that mesh together to form the study of mathematics (or at least the teaching of it). There is the "Conceptual" or all things important to truly understanding mathematics. There is the "Procedural" or the mechanics of math.  And kind of sandwiched between the two is the "Relational" aspect of algebra.  I see that as the ideal kind of relationship students have with mathematics that sincerely supports their potential to understand it's study.

Playing a big part in how I see teaching algebra differently is using the study of patterns as a foundation. There are so many inherent benefits to teaching algebra from this perspective that it cries for it's own post (I'll get to that soon).  There is the use of questioning to develop many conceptual and relational aspects of algebra. I have a theory that students struggle in math classes because they don't know how or feel comfortable asking questions.  There is much more to how I see teaching algebra (or maybe even math in general) that it is too much for one post.  For now, here is what has been brewing in my brain.




For the image with active links go here: Game Plan Link

2 comments:

  1. I really like the flowchart. You will get your students to see that math is more than solving for X. Funny how we our outlook toward our content changes with time isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! This has been a LONG TIME brewing in my head. It's only been this summer that I could finally make sense of all the jumbled, incoherent ideas floating around in there. Finally feel like I have my path laid out for me (only took five years of teaching to figure it out). Now I just have to weave together all the steps!

      Delete