Saturday, September 21, 2013

Week 3 Reflection: Regrouping

I feel that as educators it is so important for us to be reflective about what we do and responsive to our students.   As a type A perfectionist I sometimes get so caught up in my commitment to an idea that I forget they just don't always work out the way we plan.  Although my students were learning the process of flipped mastery there were some unintended consequences that are quite frankly not good for my students.  Or for me.  As Gary Strickland (@SciAggie) from my PLN tweeted me this week "stepping away from a plan that's not working isn't the same as giving up.  Regroup and move forward."  So this week...I regroup.

Unintended Consequences
I had my mastery portion set up so that students would take a short five question quiz after learning each concept to show their level of understanding.  This week it became evident how that worked to dramatically increase many students' test anxiety.  I have always worked diligently to lessen that anxiety so it did not sit well with me that this increased.

I also found that the necessary management of reteaching several groups of students who were on different concepts took up so much of my time that I was having less time with my most struggling students. I always have students who, because of failing middle school math, tend to sit and do nothing due to their severe lack of basic math knowledge.  However, when flipping last year I found that I had time to sit and work with them.  Not so while implementing mastery.

I also feel that I don't have as good a grasp on what my students really know because I haven't been able to have those quality conversations with individual students.  There is just too much chaos.  And I'm not a sissy when it comes to organized chaos.  I have five kids of my own!  Chaos is the norm for me in my life.  But what's been going on in my classroom has not been beneficial chaos.  For my students or for me.  It is okay to acknowledge that.  And to make a new plan to fix it.

Right Fit?
Now its true that  there  may be things I could do differently to manage my time and students better.  Maybe there is a solution to make continuing mastery viable.  But maybe, just maybe, its not right for me...right now.  And maybe, just maybe, its not right for my students...right now.

I work with all freshman in a Freshman Academy setting (I'll blog about that at a later date).  We have four core teachers who have the same 125 students all year at the high school level.  We have the opportunity to have great conversations about our students.  And we are working to help successfully transition them to high school.  We are finding that our students are coming from a middle school experience where they rarely had homework.  Collectively we have an expectation of about 5 hours of homework per week.  That transition is very overwhelming for our students.  At some point I have to accept that our collective goal of getting 100% of our freshman to graduation is greater than my personal goal of doing flipped-mastery.

Regrouping
I've decided that rather than quizzing over each concept we will have a quiz for every 2-3 concepts.  This means that rather than having maybe eight quizzes in a unit we will have about 2-3.  The day following a quiz I will build in reteaching for as many students that need it.  If that's the whole class its okay.

I also found that students were trying to skirt the system a bit by taking quizzes without authentically watching the video, summarizing with notes, and answering the questions online.  We will be staying together as a group more.  When students come into class they will need to show me their notes and have done the online submissions in order to sit in a group with their friends.  I have a tracking spreadsheet to show me who has done theirs (thanks Crystal Kirch).  Otherwise they will sit in a row with a netbook and get that done.

Meanwhile, those who have their WSQ done (watched video, summarized w/ notes, question submission) will get a "rapid review".  Student grab whiteboards, I put up a few questions on the board, and we check their understanding of the concept and clarify any misunderstanding.  This helps me identify those who need small group intervention and gives those students who crave the "tradition" style a bit of that.  By the time we get to small groups those watching the videos in class should be done and can join the small group if they feel they need the extra help.  Those not needing small group can get started on the practice.  When small group is done they can then get started on the practice.

Since I'm finding that students (especially freshman) get a little squirrelly near the end of class we will do a whole class activity for the last 10-15 minutes of class (keep in mind I have 71 minute class periods).  These will be number talks or problem solving activities (see my post on Whole Class Activities).

Here's a recap of class time:

  • Rapid Review/Watch Video 10-15 min
  • Practice/Small Group Interventions 40-50 min
  • Whole Class Activity  10-15 min
 Please know that I'm not saying I don't believe in flipped-mastery as a viable instructional method.  It's just not working for me and my students right now.  Maybe I'll give it more of a go later in the year.  Maybe I will decide its just not right for me.  In conversation with my principal he admitted that he could never do it.  It's just not right for him.  And I think one of the worst things I can do as an educator is to use an instructional method (or be forced to) that doesn't fit who I am as a teacher.  I love flipping.  It works for me and my students.  But it's not for everyone.  And that's okay!

There's a part of teaching we don't talk about much.  It's intuition.  It's time for me to listen to it. Are there growing pains in trying something new?  Of course.  But there's also personal growth in reflecting on the journey and listening to your heart.  What's your's saying to you?




1 comment:

  1. One of the reasons I follow you is because you are passionate about teaching and you respond to your student’s needs. I see SO much good in what you are doing. Specifically – I admire how you are working toward a goal and a vision with your students. Yes – you had a plan to reach that goal – and the plan isn’t working as well as it did in your mind before the students showed up :)

    You had a choice between adhering to a plan that wasn’t working or moving forward toward your goal. I know that’s hard; we don’t like admitting our plans are not working. We are hard headed and don’t like to give up… You made a professional and intellectual decision to respond to the needs of your students – bravo!

    I have no advice to offer you. Any advice I have would be from my perspective and I don’t know your students or your challenges – so I won’t offer any. I have great faith in your capacity to do what’s best for your students.

    I will say that with my 11th and 12th graders (different maturity level) being asynchronous during the week is working very well. Students that “get it” finish early in the week. I either offer extensions or recruit their help in working with students who are struggling and need assistance. Could you dial back the mastery and take it in weekly intervals?

    One thing I have learned is that focusing on just my problems eats me alive. Some say, “You can’t fix it if you don’t know what’s broken.” Well, true – but I have learned that when I look toward the goal I find the solutions. I have learned my stress goes down when I focus on my goals and productive processes. Problems sort of dissolve and take care of themselves.

    Keep breathing. Have a life. Embrace the chaos. The students know you love them and have high expectations. Frustrations and confusion precede success – always. Be persistent. Move forward.

    ReplyDelete