Monday, June 24, 2013

The Power of Twitter

I am not normally one who puts themselves out there and seeks out others (I'm trying to change that!).  I'm normally on the shy side.  My husband even teases me because I don't like to make phone calls to people I don't know.  That being said I have made tremendous connections to educators all over the world through Twitter.  I don't know if its because you can hide behind a computer screen that makes it less intimidating to put yourself out there.  Maybe its the positive nature of the people I have interacted with in my Personal Learning Network (PLN) that sets me at ease.  Either way, I have come to know and trust the power of Twitter and greatly respect the people who make it so powerful.

Case in point...

Last night I had the sincere pleasure to speak with Cheryl Morris (@guster4lovers) via Google Hangout (GHO).  I tweeted my tech issue I was having in trying to collaborate making videos for my flipped class with a colleague when we aren't together.  Without getting into the specifics, we were trying to do something fairly elaborate and certainly out of my tech knowledge comfort zone.  Cheryl and I were able to find a work around and she even taught me some valuable tidbits on Camtasia.  A 10 minute conversation gave me more than most PD I've attended.  It was so valuable!  And it never would have happened had it not been for Twitter.

By the way, Zach Cresswell (@z_cress) had also jumped into that Twitter feed and was  helpful.  I've connected with a teacher who flipped this year and is teaching the same thing I am next year.  Here's to potential collaboration with John Stevens (@Jstevens009)!  I've picked the brain of Crystal Kirch (@crystalkirch), the WSQing queen and flipped math guru who had been an inspiration to me.

I've attended Twitter chats.  Mondays at 8pm EST I'm sharing ideas with my #flipclass tweeps.  I'm doing a book study of Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess (@burgessdave) through #tlap chats on Mondays at 8pm CST (that's 9pm EST by the way).  I read amazing blogs and articles I never would have found if it weren't for the connections I've made on Twitter.

So let go of your inhibitions.  Don't be shy.  Jump into Twitter.  Meet wonderful people and develop your own PLN.  Don't worry.  Most of us don't bite.

Editor's Note:  A sincere THANK YOU to those I follow on Twitter (mentioned and not mentioned).  You have collectively and individually been a powerful force in supporting me to become the educator I've always wanted.  I am forever in your debt!

1 comment:

  1. 1. I love that you're blogging. An easy post to read and a great reflection.
    2. I'm equally as excited to collaborate around a project that stretches 2,000 miles and will have such a huge impact on our students.
    3. It's hard to bite via Twitter, although they're working on it.

    Great to have you as a part of my PLN as well. I know that you have tons to offer and share on your experiences in (and out of) the classroom!

    @jstevens009

    ReplyDelete