Saturday, July 13, 2013

Concerts & Collaboration: How Your PLN is Like a Band

As I sat thoroughly engaged in a concert last night (Guster, Ben Folds Five, Bare Naked Ladies, if you must know!) I began to see correlations between concerts, teachers, and collaboration.  And how your PLN through Twitter might be better than any in your building.

How many times have you gone to a concert of one? Even if there is only one "performer" there is a multitude of supportive people around them; stage hands, song writers, etc.  As I watched the performance last night I got to see evidence of all of the collaboration that must go on.  These musicians work together, tossing around ideas of how do a montage of a wide variety of other artists' songs in a way that was not only meaningful and organic but entertaining and engaging.  Members from Guster jumped in and performed with BNL.  Musicians in Guster jumped from one instrument to another.  They made full use of their strengths and overcame their weaknesses, together.  They WERE better together.

Having a husband who has been in numerous bands over that the last twenty plus years I have also come to know the behind the scenes drama that can ruin a good band.  It's inevitable that the drama creeps in.  Some bands overcome it, others do not.  When your only collaborator(s) are within your own building it sometimes becomes difficult to push aside drama.  I'm not saying that your PLN through Twitter is without this, but I am suggesting that because you can have a working relationship with your Twitter PLN and they are not in your same physical space, you have the opportunity to physically work away from any drama that might arise.

My husband has a former boss that had a steadfast rule; don't become friends with the people you work with.  He was friendly with them, but didn't maintain a friendship outside of work.  It has worked well for him and I can see the advantages.  What I think a Twitter PLN has is the best of both worlds.  You can let friendships grow without the worry or concern for it directly affecting the physical space of your job.  And you can collaborate with others who may have different experiences than those within your building, thus building on the strengths of each member.

I'm still finding myself in my Twitter PLN.  I've made some connections but am still working toward that deep collaboration.  And that's ok.  All good things take time.  And when it happens I know that what we create together will be as amazing and engaging as a great music concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment